Liverpool without Sturridge and Henderson vs. West Ham
Daniel Sturridge and Jordan Henderson will play no part in Liverpool's match away to West Ham United on Saturday, the Liverpool Echo has reported.
It said neither player had travelled with the team to London on New Year's Day for Saturday's Premier League fixture at Upton Park.
ENTER NOW: ESPN FC Premier League fantasy
- Q&A: Time to select your Premier League fantasy squad
- Sign up for our game and challenge your friends
- Join the Fantasy Football Scout league
- How to play the game -- fantasy rules in full
- FAQ: All your game questions answered
- Transfers: Check out the latest Premier League moves
- Fantasy HQ: Email us with your issues
Manager Jurgen Klopp had raised hopes of a surprise comeback for Sturridge when he said on Thursday that the striker had an outside chance of facing the Hammers, having shaken off a hamstring problem.
"We have to wait all day and see who could come back -- then maybe Daniel, if we try," Klopp had said. That followed a tweet from Sturridge on Sunday in which he declared himself "good to go" -- a claim Klopp later sought to downplay.
Sturridge has undergone a fortnight of rigorous fitness work to strengthen him in the hope of avoiding further strains. In opting not to accelerate his return to action, Klopp has stuck to his cautious policy regarding the injury-prone 26-year-old even after the hamstring strain Divock Origi picked up on Boxing Day against Leicester City. That left Christian Benteke as the Reds' sole out-and-and-out striker available.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
Club captain Henderson limped off during the second half of Wednesday's 1-0 win at Sunderland, with his longstanding heel problem still causing him discomfort. Lucas Leiva replaced Henderson at the Stadium of Light and can be expected to start in the heart of the midfield against West Ham alongside Emre Can.
Liverpool are also still without James Milner and Martin Skrtel, who have previously stood in as skipper and are working to overcome calf and hamstring injuries, respectively.
Tom is ESPN FC's Liverpool correspondent. Follow him on Twitter @writertombell.