Liverpool leave Mario Balotelli behind for preseason trip to Finland - sources
Mario Balotelli has been left out of Liverpool's squad for a pre-season trip to Finland, sources told ESPN FC, signalling a possible end to his Anfield career.
Balotelli and teammates Fabio Borini and Jose Enrique have been left behind on Merseyside while the Reds prepare to face HJK Helsinki on Saturday, sources said.
Manager Brendan Rodgers is looking to clear out his fringe players, with all three players set to leave the club.
Rickie Lambert is on his way out, too, with discussions underway to sell him to West Brom in a deal that could be worth £4 million.
Liverpool had already indicated that they were prepared to listen to offers for Balotelli, who has attracted confirmed interest from Sampdoria and Bologna, as well as being linked with their Serie A rivals Lazio.
But Rodgers' decision to leave the Italy international at home is a clear indication that the Reds are actively pursuing a sale.
It comes after Balotelli was omitted from the squad for their recent tour of the Far East and Australia -- with no places on that trip either for striker Borini or left-back Enrique.
Balotelli is only 11 months into the three-year deal he signed when joining Liverpool from AC Milan for £16m last August.
He scored four goals last season and frustrated Rodgers with a series of disappointing performances.
Italy international Borini, 24, has failed to establish himself at Anfield, making just eight league starts since Rodgers bought him from Roma for £10.5m in 2012.
Liverpool tried to sell him in 2014, but he turned down a £14m move to Sunderland -- where he had just completed a season on loan -- and a £10m transfer to QPR.
Spanish left-back Enrique, 29, has not been selected since January, and played just four times in the Premier League for the Reds last season.