Ajax end interest in Samuel Eto'o
Ajax director of football Marc Overmars has told Voetbal International the Dutch champions have ended their interest in Samuel Eto'o.
Eto'o, 33, is available on a free transfer after leaving Chelsea in the summer and Overmars had earlier confirmed that Ajax had held talks with the player.
However, Ajax had set a deadline of Wednesday evening to conclude a deal and have now confirmed that they have ended their pursuit of the former Barcelona and Inter Milan star.
"It is Eto'o's prerogative to take his time to consider his next club, but Ajax will not wait any longer," Overmars said. "We have let him know that we are not going to take part in any further discussions."
Eto'o scored 12 goals in all competitions for the Blues last season and represented Cameroon at this summer's World Cup.
He has also been linked with a return to the Premier League, with clubs including Liverpool and Tottenham credited with an interest in his services.