Previous
Celta Vigo
Almeria
7:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Mainz
Bayern Munich
7:30 PM GMT
Game Details
Lens
Nice
7:30 PM GMT
Game Details
Millwall
Bolton Wanderers
7:45 PM GMT
Game Details
FC Porto
Vitoria Setubal
8:30 PM GMT
Game Details
Next

Sterling urged to sign deal

Liverpool
Read

Saints rule out Sneijder

Transfers
Read

Bayern hope to sign Odegaard

Transfers
Read

Ramos confident of new deal

Real Madrid
Read

Atletico won't chase Torres, Chicharito

Atlético Madrid centre-back Miranda praises the club's new goalkeepers Jan Oblak and Miguel Angel Moya.

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has ruled out trying to sign either Fernando Torres or Javier Hernandez this summer.

Reports in Spain have linked Chelsea striker Torres with a return to his boyhood club -- although Blues boss Jose Mourinho on Thursday insisted the 30-year-old would not be leaving Stamford Bridge -- while Atletico coach Diego Simeone has admitted he would be keen on bringing Manchester United striker Hernandez to the Vicente Calderon.

- Walker: Atletico gear up for title defence

Cerezo insists neither player are on Atletico's radar though, while also dismissing transfer speculation regarding Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla and Napoli's Jose Callejon.

"Many names have been mentioned, but none of those players, neither Cazorla, Callejon, Torres nor Chicharito (Hernandez) are on our agenda," Cerezo told Radio Marca. "If we sign another player, it won't be any of them."

The La Liga champions have endured a busy transfer window this summer, waving goodbye to Diego Costa, Filipe Luis, Thibaut Courtois, David Villa and Adrian Lopez.

Meanwhile, the club have added striker Mario Mandzukic, goalkeeper Jan Oblak, defender Guilherme Siqueira and forward Antoine Griezmann to their squad, with Argentinian full-back Cristian Ansaldi set to be confirmed as an Atletico player in the coming days after undergoing a medical at the club's training ground earlier this week.

Cerezo, however, rubbished reports that Brazilian centre-back Joao Miranda could join Filipe Luis, Courtois and Costa at Stamford Bridge next season.

"I know nothing about that at all, and if I haven't heard about it it's because he's going to stay, I'm almost certain of that," said the president.

French winger Antoine Griezmann is part of Atletico's stellar young core.

Cerezo also hailed the arrival of Griezmann from Real Sociedad for an estimated 30 million euros, insisting that signing the France international was a bigger coup than Real Madrid signing James Rodriguez, the Golden Boot winner at the World Cup.

"Antoine is the most desired player in all of Europe, he has proved that, and he is the signing of the summer," he said. "He is comparable with players such as Luis Suarez. James is not because he still hasn't had an established career.

"[Griezmann] is a great signing for the club, and we made a great effort to sign him. Despite having many offers, he decided to join Atletico, which is a huge club."

Speaking at his presentation at the Calderon on Thursday evening, Griezmann said he needed to leave Sociedad, whom he joined as a 13-year-old, in order to grow as a player.

"I needed to jump up a level in order to learn and I knew that the best place to do that was here," said the 23-year-old, who admitted he and the Madrid side had been engaged in a lengthy courtship.

"Atletico have shown an interest in me for a long time and they were very direct when they spoke to me," he said. "This is a great club, Champions League finalists and the league champions, so I didn't have to ask myself any questions about coming here."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.