Argentina captain Lionel Messi has run 16.4 kilometres less than Germany midfielder Toni Kroos during the 2014 World Cup.
The players will come face to face during the final of the tournament on Sunday night, with Kroos, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid, covering a total of 68.3 kilometres in 570 minutes.
Argentina vs. Germany (3 ET: ABC & WatchESPN)
- Marcotti: Can Messi deliver one more time?
- Honigstein: Germany to seize the moment
- Marcotti: German eyes are on the prize
- Cox: Five key World Cup final matchups
- Kuper: Maradona's shadow looms large
- Carlisle: Can Germany end Europe's drought?
- ESPN FC writer predictions
- Jones: Looking back at the World Cup
- Hornby: Has the World Cup been that good?
Messi, meanwhile, has only managed 51.9 kilometres in 573 minutes, around a game and a half less than Kroos.
Both players have been nominated for the Golden Ball award for the best player at the 2014 World Cup.
Angel Di Maria and Javier Mascherano are also nominated for Argentina. Mats Hummels, Phillip Lahm and Thomas Muller also make the cut for Germany and James Rodriguez of Colombia, Brazil's Neymar and Netherlands' Arjen Robben complete the 10-man shortlist.