Pele calls for repeat of 1962 heroics
Pele is hopeful Brazil can go on and win the World Cup without the injured Neymar -- just as they went on to win the competition after he picked up an injury in 1962.
Neymar has been ruled out for the rest of the tournament, having sustained a fractured vertebra in Friday's quarterfinal defeat of Colombia following a collision with Juan Camilo Zuniga.
Pele was a member of the Selecao squad that won the World Cup in 1962 in Chile, although he also picked up an injury that meant he missed out on the latter stages of the competition.
Neymar out of the World Cup
- Ex-ref blames FIFA for Neymar injury
- FIFA to investigate Neymar injury
- Referee Carballo faces criticism
- Jones: The morning after the night before
- Duarte: The World Cup's crushing loss
- World Cup Tonight: How will Brazil cope?
- Young: Brazilian media reacts
- Uersfeld: German media reaction
- Lang: Five players who must step up
- Neymar injury dampens celebration
But while he is disappointed for the Barcelona player, the Brazil legend wants the national side to take inspiration from what happened 52 years ago.
I was also injured during the 1962 World Cup in Chile, and I was out for the rest of the tournament,- Pelé (@Pele) July 5, 2014
but God helped Brazil continue on to win the Championship.- Pelé (@Pele) July 5, 2014
I hope the same will happen with our Seleção in this World Cup.- Pelé (@Pele) July 5, 2014