Diego Forlan not quitting Uruguay
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Diego Forlan is not ready to announce his retirement from international football, even though he knows the clock is ticking.
Forlan, 35, won the Golden Ball award for the outstanding player at the 2010 World Cup as Uruguay finished third in South Africa, but was used more sparingly during this year's campaign.
The former Manchester United and Inter Milan striker's two starts in Brazil both came in the absence of Luis Suarez -- once through injury in their first game and again in the round-of-16 defeat to Colombia after Suarez had been banned.
But Forlan stressed after Saturday's 2-0 loss to Colombia that he was not ready to quit the reigning South American champions just yet.
"I want to play football," he said. "I still love to be on the field. I know there's going to be a generational change. That's to be expected, and I'm 35. But I'm always willing to help and be around."
Forlan, who has also played for Spanish clubs Villarreal and Atletico Madrid in his career in Europe, signed an 18-month contract with Japanese club Cerezo Osaka earlier this year, and listed several reasons why he wants to keep playing international football.
"At a personal level, the things I have been able to experience -- winning and enjoying playing with the national team -- are more than I could have imagined," he said.