Sassuolo will be looking to avoid a repeat of last year's dismal start to the season when they host Cagliari on Sunday.
The Regio Emilia-based club lost their opening four league games, giving away 15 goals and scoring just once in the process.
Sassuolo went on to win nine of their 38 games and finished 17th in the standings, one place and two points clear of the drop zone.
``We must learn from what happened last season,'' Sassuolo coach Eusebio Di Francesco said. ``We had a terrible start even though we faced teams that seemed easy on paper.
``We have worked well in pre-season and we are optimistic heading into Sunday's game against Cagliari.''
Sassuolo have made just seven reinforcements this summer but have held on to Domenico Berardi.
The 19-year-old forward struck 16 goals in 29 league appearances last season and will play another year on loan at Sassuolo from Juventus.
Rivals Cagliari finished a disappointing 15th last season and have undergone major changes this summer.
Tommaso Giulini purchased the Sardinian club from long-time owner Massimo Cellino in June.
Giulini appointed veteran coach Zdenek Zeman to replace Ivo Pulga.
The Czech-born tactician returns to guide a Serie A team for the first time since leaving Roma in February 2013.
``He is a coach with great experience,'' Cagliari striker Victor Ibarbo said. ``He has done big things in other clubs and I'm sure he will do a good job with us.''
Zeman is expected to hand Alessandro Capello a start at the Mapei stadium on Sunday.
The 18-year-old Capello, who joined Cagliari from Bologna this summer, is just one of the 12 signings made by the club.
He scored 20 goals for Inter Milan's youth team last season and has appeared regularly for Italy at youth level.