Everton
LA GalaxyLA Galaxy
Atlanta United FCAtlanta United FC
Chicago FireChicago Fire
LA GalaxyLA Galaxy
ESPN FC  By ESPN staff

LA Galaxy midfielder Steven Gerrard: MLS a lot better than people think

Steven Gerrard has told Sky Sports that he has been surprised by the standard of football in Major League Soccer.

The LA Galaxy midfielder, who joined from Liverpool last summer, said he had found more than he expected to get used to since making the move.

Gerrard said he was targeting an MLS Cup triumph as he prepared for the start of the 2016 season at the weekend.

And he added: "The level is certainly a lot better than people think. It's very competitive. There's some good players in the league, good managers and good tactics.

"There were some shocks and surprises when you go away on the road -- the altitude, the humidity, the length of travel, and obviously getting used to teammates and new tactics.

"It's a different way of playing. I'll certainly be better for the highs and lows of last season."

Gerrard, who said he had not yet made any decisions on when he might retire from playing, added that he was glad to have chosen to join Galaxy.

"The experience has been good but I'll obviously judge it come the end of the season when I've done a full season," he said. "Hopefully, I'll go home with a trophy.

"I don't want to shut any doors and I don't want to make any rash decisions, because where I sit now I still feel healthy. Where I sit now, I'm not ready to retire. Will I be ready in 10-11 months? We'll have to see."

Comments