Javier Zanetti to stay on at Inter Milan
Inter Milan and Javier Zanetti have confirmed that their "marriage will continue" beyond the summer.
• Wilson: Inter close gap
Zanetti, 40, is likely to bring an end to a glittering playing career when his contract expires at the end of June, but after 19 years with the Nerazzurri, he has pledged his future to the club.
Inter president Erick Thohir announced prior to Sunday’s 1-0 win over Torino that an agreement had been reached "to keep Zanetti as part of the great Nerazzurri family."
The former Argentina international’s exact role has yet to be defined, but rumours of a move to Chelsea have nevertheless been dispelled.
"Zanetti is a great footballer and it's important that he now concentrates on the end of the season -- there are only three months left," Thohir said. "Today is a special day."
Zanetti, who joined Inter as the first new arrival under former president Massimo Moratti in 1995 and has made a total of 796 appearances for the club, was equally delighted with the news.
"I never had any doubts and the president's always been perfectly clear with me," he said. "The most important thing is that this marriage will continue. I'm delighted because I'm going to remain part of Inter."
Zanetti was an unused substitute on Sunday, although he has made six appearances this season after recovering from rupturing his Achilles tendon.