Javier Zanetti wants to remain at Inter
Inter Milan captain Javier Zanetti says his bond with the Serie A club "will never break" as he looks to the future with the Nerazzurri.
Zanetti, 40, will see his current playing contract expire in the summer, but he insists he wants to remain at the club. Whether that will be as a player or in another capacity will be determined after talks with club president Erick Thohir later this month.
The Indonesian businessman did not have enough time to meet with the former Argentna international on his most recent visit to Italy at the end of February, but he has left a gap in his schedule for his return next week.
• Wilson: Vidic will boost Inter back line
"My aim was to get back to playing after injury and proving that I could still be useful," Zanetti said after picking up a fair play award in Milan. "The team's future comes first, and we want to get into Europe. Then we'll evaluate things. My bond with this club will never be broken, and that does not depend on any contract.
"I hope I can still be useful to Inter. I don't have any appointment with Thohir, but certainly I'll talk to him. I've got no particular demands to put to him."
Zanetti was last month linked with a move to Chelsea, where he would be reunited with his coach from Inter's Treble-winning season, Jose Mourinho. "I denied that straight away," Zanetti said. "Even if I do have a great relationship with him, he knows how attached I am to Inter."
Zanetti has spent 18 years with the Nerazzurri and he was the first player signed by former president Massimo Moratti, whose own 18-year reign came to an end late last year when Thohir bought out his majority share in the club.
After rupturing his Achilles tendon at the end of last season, it was feared Zanetti might not play again, but he has recently returned to action and came on as a substitute in Inter's 0-0 draw with Roma on Saturday night. He has made a total of six appearances in Serie A this season.