Cassano completes move to Parma
Parma have announced the signing of Inter Milan forward Antonio Cassano for an undisclosed fee on a reported three-year contract.
Cassano, 30, is expected to join Parma as part of a deal that will see Ishak Belfodil head to Inter but there is no confirmation of the exchange element of the transfer as yet. He will again wear the No. 99 jersey.
A statement published on Parma's official website read: "Parma can announce the signing of Antonio Cassano from Inter with some satisfaction and officially welcome the player into the Gialloblu family."
Cassano’s agent, Giuseppe Bozzo, told Parma Today on Tuesday that president Tommaso Ghirardi had already defined the signing as "the biggest of my time in charge of the Gialloblu".
Cassano, who has appeared for both Milan clubs following his move from AC to Inter last summer, appeared set to accomplish that same feat in the city of Genoa. After spending three years with Sampdoria before an acrimonious split in 2010, he was strongly linked with a move to the Rossoblu.
However, Genoa president Enrico Preziosi claims his club were never really in the running for the player.
"For the way he plays football, he is unique, but there would have been problems in terms of the surroundings and financially here," he told Mediaset Premium. "He’s not an easy player to deal with and his salary is high. For that reason, there were never any serious negotiations with Cassano."
The 35-time Italy international has never made a secret of his desire to return to Genoa, where he met his wife, Carolina.
"I would like to play the final years of my career for the Blucerchiati," he said last October. "If I could go back in time, I would never have fallen out with (the late Sampdoria president Riccardo) Garrone."