Internacional still awaiting Damiao offer
Internacional president Giovanni Luigi said he has not entered talks over Tottenham Hotspur target Leandro Damiao despite spending the weekend in London.
Spurs have long held an interest in the Brazil striker, and Luigi talked up the prospect of his player moving to White Hart Lane last month. Recent reports have suggested that, having seen a bid turned down in January, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is planning a new offer.
However, while Luigi was at Wembley for the Champions League final on Saturday, he did not open negotiations over the 23-year-old forward and has not spoken to any Spurs representatives.
“We had no contact with any club or agent,” he told Radio Guaiba. “It was a very quick trip. Despite my presence [in London], there was no contact.”
In an interview with Radio Gaucha, he said it was “possible” that an offer could be made but added: “I’m not sure if it will come from Tottenham. The player has been called up again [by Brazil] and will go to the Confederations Cup. He is a target for many clubs.”
Luigi played down suggestions Napoli, who this week brought in Rafa Benitez to replace Walter Mazzarri, would be among the interested parties.
“The Napoli interest was 40 or 50 days ago,” he said. “They made an enquiry, but not anything official. It was someone working on behalf of them. Nothing more than that.”
The player himself has also dismissed suggestions that a move is imminent.
“Inter have not received an offer,” Damiao was quoted as teling the Brazilian media. “There’s nothing there and I’m just focused on the Selecao.”