Mario Gotze 'most valuable brand'
Mario Gotze is Germany's biggest football brand, according to a survey released by German weekly Wirtschaftswoche.
Gotze, 22, was watched across the globe last month as he scored the winner in the World Cup final against Argentina at Rio de Janeiro's Maracana stadium to seal a fourth triumph in the tournament for Germany.
Germany defeat Argentina to win World Cup
- Marcotti: Total team effort at Germany's heart
- Honigstein: What's next for Germany?
- Brewin: Three points from Germany-Argentina
- Carlisle: Gotze goes from sub to legend | Grades
- Duarte: What are Brazilians laughing about?
- Five Aside: Gotze's historics secure German glory
- Macintosh: World Cup triumph validates Germany
- Jones: Argentina fall short in final
- Vickery: Argentina's future looks bleak
- Twitter reaction: Germany reigns supreme
- Galleries: World Cup final | Top moments
Just days before Bayern Munich kick off the defence of their Bundesliga title against Wolfsburg on Friday night, a biennial study into the brand value of the Germany internationals conducted by Dusseldorf based management consultants Batten & Company for Wirtschaftswoche has named Gotze the most valuable brand in German football.
The former Dortmund midfielder has a brand value of 36.7 million euros, the study revealed. Second in the ranking is Gotze's Bayern teammate Thomas Muller with 32.7 million euros.
Toni Kroos, who left the Allianz Arena to join European champions Real Madrid in the summer, ranks third at 27.5 million euros. That is an increase of 213 percent from 2012, when the study was last conducted.
Chelsea's Andre Schurrle is now 14th increasing his value by 126 percent to 10.4 million euros.
Mario Gomez, who had missed the World Cup through injury, and recently retired Miroslav Klose are among the biggest sliders down the list, with Klose's brand value dropping by 26 percent to 3.4 million euros, the paper reported.
Wirtschaftswoche added that the brand value is made up out of several factors -- wages, advertising revenue, image rights and brand awareness.