Wolfsburg reject Mario Mandzukic talk
Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs has rejected rumours that Bayern Munich striker Mario Mandzukic could return to the club.
• Schaaf: Bayern move along
Allofs is in the process of rebuilding the Die Woelfe squad, and come the summer will be looking to bolster the side's attack.
Earlier this week, Bild suggested that Wolfsburg are hoping to convince Mandzukic, 27, to return to Lower Saxony at the end of the season.
The Croatia international left Die Woelfe for Bayern in 2012, but despite scoring 38 goals in 65 appearances for the European champions, he could become surplus to requirements with the summer arrival of Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski.
“There are no arrangements about a return,” Allofs told Wolfsburger Allgemeine Zeitung on Friday. “And that is also not an issue. It is, however, required that we will keep our eyes and ears open. I don’t think it’s necessary to cross someone off an imaginary list.”
Mandzukic’s agent Ivan Cvjetkovic also played down the speculation.
“No comment,” he said. “I won’t discuss Mario’s future until July. He is under contract at Bayern until 2016.”
Wolfsburg currently have two main strikers in Bas Dost and Ivica Olic.
Dost, 24, has had a difficult time settling in at the club since joining from Dutch outfit Heereneven in 2012, netting just 15 goals in 43 games. He has, however, found the back of the net in Wolfsburg’s last two games.
Olic, 34, will be out of contract with Wolfsburg in the summer, and so far both parties have yet to agree on a new deal.
Die Woelfe have also been linked with Hertha Berlin attacker Pierre-Michel Lasogga, who is currently on loan at struggling Hamburg.