Bayern boosted by €110m investment
Bayern Munich have received a cash injection of 110 million euros after selling off an 8.33 percent stake in their stock company.
• Schaaf: Allianz investment
Insurance company Allianz, which already holds naming rights to the team’s stadium, now shares a 25 percent stake in the Bayern Munich Aktiengesellschaft (AG) along with fellow Bavaria-based brands adidas and Audi. The remaining 75 percent belongs to the club and its members.
There had been speculation over a potential new investor in the German champions for some time, and the club’s CEO, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, last week hinted that a deal was in the offing.
Bayern have now issued a statement confirming the sale, which read: “FC Bayern Muenchen and Allianz, the club’s partner of many years, are further extending their partnership. As part of a capital increase in return for stock, Allianz SE will acquire an 8.33 percent stake in FC Bayern Muenchen AG. In return for the stock thus acquired, FC Bayern Muenchen AG will receive 110 million euros.”
Uli Hoeness, Bayern president and chairman of the club’s supervisory board, added: “Today is a big day for FC Bayern. With the three Bavarian companies Allianz, adidas and Audi, FC Bayern has a Triple-A of partners. It is a dream and we are very proud, because it shows the strength of this club.”
Rummenigge had already said that the money would not be used for transfers and the club has now confirmed that it will be used for “two of the club’s important projects”: paying down the club’s remaining obligations on the Allianz Arena to become debt-free and for funding the planned reconstruction of the youth and junior facility in Munich.
None of the money will go into the day-to-day business, and will not be spent on the personnel costs, which exceeded 200 million euros during the 2012-13 season.
On Wednesday, the German sports weekly Sport Bild published a list of the Bayern payroll, claiming France international Franck Ribery and Germany star Mario Goetze are the top earners at the club, with an annual salary of 12 million euros.
Philipp Lahm and Bastian Schweinsteiger are reported to be on 10 million euros, while Toni Kroos, who has yet to renew his contract having failed to agree terms with the club, currently only earns 4.5 million euros. Florida-born Julian Green, under contract until 2017, is on 500,000 euros per year.
In an interview with the magazine, Bayern captain Philipp Lahm said he can understand why Kroos, whose current deal expires in 2015, may be considering his options but warned moving on may be unwise.
“He needs to make a decision where, and under which conditions, he wants to play football in the coming years,” Lahm said. “It’s normal to explore your options and negotiate. I’ve also done that in the past.
“From my point of view, it’s an absolute privilege to be here because this team has the potential to win everything, so many players want to join Bayern -- that’s why you have to consider if you really want to leave the club.”