Ter Stegen 'closer to Barca switch'
The likelihood of Borussia Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen joining Barcelona increased after Belgian paper Het Nieuswblad reported that Thibaut Courtois would not be going there.
Chelsea’s Courtois, on loan at Atletico Madrid, had been linked with a Camp Nou move, and Barca president Sandro Rosell had suggested it was a possibility -- but his father Thierry told the paper that was “never an option.”
He said: “Thibaut is under contract at Atletico until June 30. There are only two clubs that are important to him -- Chelsea and Atletico.”
And he said that cleared the way for ter Stegen, 21, to replace Victor Valdes when he leaves Barca at the end of the season, claiming the Catalan club had “opted for him.”
Germany under-21 international ter Stegen had been linked with a transfer to Barcelona throughout 2013, and Spanish reports suggested a deal may already have been done. The goalkeeper has yet to reveal his future plans.