Schalke announce Max Meyer deal
Schalke have announced that midfielder Max Meyer has signed a new long-term contract, but there was further injury misery for the club with Dennis Aogo ruled out for the season.
Meyer, 18, had recently been linked with Chelsea but said he was “really happy” to prolong his Schalke deal until 2018.
Meyer, who has made 11 Bundesliga appearances and scored three goals this season, added on the club’s official website: “Two things were important for me: that the club put their faith in players from their own youth academy and that I've got the chance to play in Europe at such a young age.”
General manager Horst Heldt said: “It's excellent news for the club. Many experts are predicting a big career in football for Max. His progress in recent months has been nothing short of breathtaking. We're therefore delighted to have tied such a gem from our academy to FC Schalke 04.”
However, Schalke also announced further injury misery as Aogo sustained an anterior cruciate ligament tear.
Germany international Aogo, who joined on loan from Hamburg in the summer, had been ever-present in competitive games for Schalke, operating at left-back and as a holding midfielder.
The club have confirmed that the 26-year-old sustained an ACL tear in training on Friday, and that has brought his campaign to an early conclusion and ended his hopes of playing for his country at the World Cup in the summer.
Schalke have already seen Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Marco Hoeger and Kyriakos Papadopoulos sustain serious injuries this season.