Jermaine Jones not set for surgery
Schalke midfielder Jermaine Jones has said he will not undergo knee surgery, contrary to recent reports suggesting otherwise.
Jones had been quoted in SportBild plus as saying that surgery “was inevitable” because of persistent pain, meaning he was set for six weeks on the sidelines.
However, on Monday morning the United States international, who has a year remaining on his current Schalke contract, rejected suggestions surgery was imminent.
On my way to training soon!! Surgery ?? No... Schalke 04 is more important atm!! Reading BILD is always the funniest moment of my day!— Jermaine Jones (@Jermainejunior) September 30, 2013
Surgery would have ruled Jones out of the United States' final two World Cup qualifying matches in October, but Jones said in a statement Monday that he is available to play.
"I have had some minor issues with my knee for a while, and the plan is to take care of it during the winter break," Jones said in a statement relased by US Soccer. "Playing is obviously no problem. I will be in the team this weekend for the game against Augsburg, and I'm ready to go for the National Team if I get called in."
Schalke have handed Jones, 31, a one-match "pause for reflection" after a poor performance in Schalke's 3-3 draw at Hoffenheim, meaning he will miss Tuesday's Champions League game against FC Basel.
"It's not about a scapegoat," Schalke's sporting director Horst Heldt said. "Every measure is about making the team or the individual player better. There is nothing more to say about this."
At half-time on Saturday, Schalke were leading 3-1 at Hoffenheim but nearly suffered defeat come full-time.
Jones gave away the free-kick that led to the opponents levelling before he then lost the ball in midfield, which nearly allowed Hoffenheim to clinch all three points.
"It's not part of our training routine to create one-on-one situations as the last man right before the end of the game,” Heldt commented on the Jones blunder.