Corinthians and Vasco da Gama supporters cannot attend any of the teams’ next four home matches as a result of violence last month, the Superior Court of Sport Justice (STJD) ruled on Wednesday.
The STJD voted unanimously to see the two clubs play their next home games behind closed doors, while only away fans will be permitted to buy tickets for the two fixtures that follow. Both have also been fined.
The trouble had flared during a 1-1 draw between the teams in a Brazilian Campeonato match on August 25 when Corinthians fans invaded an area housing Vasco fans. Fighting took place and riot police became involved.
Vasco lawyer Luciana Lopes, the daughter of the Rio football federation president, came out in defence of both clubs and said: "We aren't seeing the CBF or the government being denounced. Only the two teams, who have no way of being held responsible. Security is the responsibility of the authorities. Vasco took every precaution -- they called the police, met with the guards -- but they don't have the power of the police."
However, she added: “The public and notorious scenes starring thugs dressed up as fans were shocking. This signifies a lack of repression by both teams. The complaint had a solid basis.”
The match had taken place at Brasilia’s Mane Garrincha stadium as a result of sponsorship deals Vasco had agreed and Ricardo Graiche, one of the five judges on the STJC panel, said: “This cannot happen in a stadium that will host World Cup matches, in a country that will host the World Cup.”