Loic Remy’s Marseille team-mate Rod Fanni has said the club will lose “a great player and a super person" when the forward completes his move to Newcastle.
Remy, 26, left Marseille's hotel prior to Sunday's defeat at Sochaux to return to Marseille and begin talks with his representatives and the Magpies after the two clubs agreed a fee of €10.5 million.
Although the France international has scored only one goal so far this season, Fanni, 31, said his loss would be a blow to Marseille.
"It's sad for us," the defender said after his team's 3-1 loss in the snow at Sochaux, which saw them slip three points behind leaders Lyon.
"We're losing a great player and a super person, but it's great for him as he wanted to discover English football."
Remy, signed from Nice for €15.5m in summer 2010, scored 27 league goals in his first two Ligue 1 campaigns at the Stade Velodrome.
However, a thigh injury suffered late last season meant he missed Euro 2012 and dropped behind Andre-Pierre Gignac and Jordan Ayew in the pecking order, while further injury setbacks undermined his chances of re-establishing himself this term.
Marseille have already turned their attention to how they will reinforce their squad in the January transfer window.
"It's been in the air a while - we knew that he was going to leave. He's started negotiations with his potential future club. We have to be ready to deal with it," coach Elie Baup said.
"We'll see if it goes through in the coming hours. If he goes, one or two players will come in."
Nancy's Marseille-born forward Djamel Bakar and Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko - who, according to L'Equipe, is also wanted by Newcastle - are both reportedly high on Marseille’s list of potential targets.