Former Brazil star Zico on running for FIFA president: 'I feel capable of this'
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Former Brazil and Flamengo star Zico wants to run for the presidency of FIFA, even though he believes the odds are stacked against him being elected.
The 62-year-old former playmaker said Wednesday that "there's a possibility now for change."
FIFA President Sepp Blatter announced his resignation last week, amid separate investigations by the U.S. and Swiss authorities into alleged bribery and corruption involving the 2010, 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
"I would like to confirm this decision about the possibility of being a candidate in the next FIFA election," Zico told a news conference in his native Rio de Janeiro. "I feel capable of this."
But he added: "Of course, changes in the rules of the game would be necessary. Mainly because, with the rules in place now there isn't the slightest possibility [of being elected]."
FIFA said earlier Wednesday its executive committee would meet next month to choose an election date. All 209 FIFA member federations will vote for a new president, with the current favorite being Michel Platini, the head of Europe's governing body UEFA.
Potential candidates need the support of five national football associations in order to stand for election.
A hugely gifted midfielder, Zico played in three World Cups - 1978, 1982 and 1986 - but never won the trophy. In addition to Flamengo, he played at clubs in Italy and Japan before going on to a coaching career in Turkey, Greece, Russia, Uzbekistan, the Middle East, India and also Japan's national team.