Queiroz steps down as Iran coach
Iran coach Carlos Queiroz says he is quitting as Iran coach after his team's group-stage exit at the World Cup.
Team Melli crashed out of the tournament in Brazil on Wednesday following their 3-1 loss to Bosnia-Herzegovina, finishing bottom of Group F.
Iran still had a chance of progressing to the round of 16 going into the game, but ultimately fell short with a record of just one point and one goal scored.
Queiroz, who previously announced he would step down after the tournament, announced his decision to quit shortly after the defeat, saying he was leaving because he failed to agree financial terms with Iranian football authorities.
"I did not see any commitment to extend the contract," Queiroz said.
The 61-year-old Portuguese manager took over in 2011 and led the team through qualifying.
"I fell in love with Iran, but you can't have a marriage in which only one side wants to marry," he said.
The Portuguese manager said he believes his former players can learn from their disappointing World Cup experience and come back stronger next time.
"The most important thing is to learn," Queiroz said in his postmatch news conference.
"If my players work and invest in the future, they have the same chances as any other national team in the world.
"There is a long way to go, but we must start working again tomorrow."
Iran's first goal of the tournament came from Reza Ghoochannejhad, but despite threatening a late comeback against Bosnia-Herzegovina, the European side instantly hit back through Avdija Vrsajevic.
"We tried our best. The players fought and left everything on the field, but the experience of the Bosnian players prevailed," Queiroz said.
"It's a pity we didn't take our chances and we made mistakes in our defensive line."