Kerala Blasters FC
NorthEast United FC
Game Details
Crewe Alexandra
Wigan Athletic
LIVE 90' +11'
Game Details
Bradford City
Game Details
Sheffield United
Notts County
LIVE 79'
Game Details
Northampton Town
LIVE 82'
Game Details

IOC drops Blatter from WADA board


Dummett threatened over Suarez tackle

Paul Dummett was sent off for his challenge on Luis Suarez on the final day of the Premier League season.
Paul Dummett was sent off for his challenge on Luis Suarez on the final day of the Premier League season.

Newcastle defender Paul Dummett was the subject of online death threats on Thursday after Uruguay fans blamed him for the injury that has dealt Luis Suarez a World Cup scare.

Vickery: Uruguay still have options
Brewin: Suarez absence would be a loss for all

The Uruguay Football Association announced that 27-year-old Suarez had undergone minor knee surgery, suggesting he damaged the meniscus in Liverpool's final match of the season against Newcastle.

Suarez's arthroscopic surgery lasted about 30 minutes and he is likely to be sidelined for at least a couple of weeks, but Uruguay officials remain confident he will be fit for the World Cup. Uruguay's first match is against Costa Rica on June 15 before they face England in Sao Paolo on June 19.

The assurances were not enough to prevent a furious reaction from several Uruguay supporters on Twitter, including menacing warnings for 22-year-old full-back Dummett, who collided with Suarez towards the end of Liverpool's 2-1 victory at Anfield.

Dummett was sent off after catching Suarez in what looked an accidental collision, and his red card was later rescinded.

One Twitter user wrote: "Hi @PaulDummett, from Uruguay we hope someday u come here to have a nice time w/ friends. We have things for you, like a bullet in the head." Another posted: "We kill you."

There had been no report of an injury for Suarez as a result of the challenge, but he complained of pains at the start of Uruguay's training camp and was sent for an MRI scan.

Dummett, who has been called up by Wales for their forthcoming friendly with Netherlands, told the Daily Mirror on Thursday: "The challenge was inadvertent. I hit him and the ball with my left foot and he went down under the challenge.

"I hope he makes the World Cup because he is one of the best players in the world so he should be there. Having said that, I injured my meniscus three years ago and I was out for three months, so it will depend on the injury and exactly where it is on the knee."

Asked about the fact an injury to Suarez could help England, he said in Newcastle's Evening Chronicle newspaper: "I was born in Newcastle and went to school here but I am a Welshman now in that I am playing for Wales. I qualified through my dad's dad, who is Welsh.

"Suarez thinks he will be back in two weeks -- we will have to wait and see how he does."


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.