Sergio Aguero: I cannot rush recovery
Sergio Aguero has admitted that he is wary of trying to make his comeback too soon in case he breaks down again and is ruled out for the rest of the season and the World Cup.
The Manchester City striker -- who had a calf problem followed by two hamstring injuries -- is spending his third spell on the sidelines of the 2013-14 campaign, but is still the club’s top scorer despite his injury woes.
Manager Manuel Pellegrini had originally hoped the 26-goal forward would be able to return for Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Arsenal, but said last Friday that he now believes Aguero could be back for this weekend’s home game against Southampton.
But the Argentina international would rather err on the side of caution as he bids to ensure his injury problems do not recur.
“With this recovery I am trying to do my best to be able to play again, but I cannot do it in a hurry,” he told DirecTV.
"I do think to myself if something happens now, I will lose the rest of the Premier League season and the World Cup."
After facing Southampton, City’s next game is against title rivals Liverpool at Anfield on April 13.
Aguero joined City from Atletico Madrid for 38 million pounds in 2011 and has been linked with a return to Spain, whether with Real Madrid or Barcelona, frequently since then.
Manager Pellegrini has always stated that Aguero is happy at City and is not available for transfer, and the 25-year-old said the Chilean coach has told him why he must remain in Manchester.
Aguero added: "He says to me that I can't leave without winning a Champions League. That's the objective of each player in Europe."
City were knocked out of the Champions League by Barcelona this season, with Aguero being injured in the second leg of their last-16 tie at the Nou Camp.