Barry hoping for World Cup spot
Gareth Barry believes he is still good enough to win a World Cup place after impressing in front of England manager Roy Hodgson at the weekend.
• O'Farrell: Marching on
Hodgson watched on at Goodison Park as Barry scored Everton’s first in a 2-0 Premier League victory over Norwich.
The midfielder, 32, won the last of his 53 international caps in a 1-0 friendly win over Norway in May 2012, when he suffered a serious groin injury that ruled him out of that summer’s European Championships.
Barry’s England career has ground to a halt since then, but having slipped down the midfield pecking order at Manchester City, he has been revitalised by his move to Everton on a season’s loan.
And he admits that he is holding off booking his summer holidays just in case he gets an international recall to push his claims for a place in Hodgson’s squad for Brazil.
Barry told the Daily Mirror: “This time of year you generally do look at your summer holidays. I’m not going to lie, I will start looking if I don’t hear anything soon.
“I’m not retired from England yet -- I’m definitely still available.
“It’s true, I can look at players in my position and think I’m as good as them, but football does not always work like that.”
Hodgson had made the trip to Merseyside in order to watch Barry’s teammate Ross Barkley.
But the 20-year-old missed the match with the suspected broken toe he suffered in the FA Cup win over QPR on Jan. 4, and is likely to be out for three weeks.
That gave Barry the chance to put his England claims forward to Hodgson, although the midfielder is refusing to build up his hopes.
He added: “The manager has used players who have rightly got the team qualified and generally he will, I’m sure, stick with them.
“But if things occur and he needs another player, I’m still here. It won’t be a case of joining up and being fresh and nervous, I would be able to settle straight back in and I’m sure the manager knows that. We will see.”
Meanwhile, Everton will be without centre-back Antolin Alcaraz for a fortnight with muscle fatigue, the club have said.
The Paraguay international, 31, missed the win over Norwich, having started his side’s previous three matches.
Those had been Alcaraz’s first competitive appearances for Everton since signing for them on a free transfer in the summer, having been released by Wigan.
The defender missed the opening months of the campaign as he recovered from surgery on a hernia sustained in pre-season.