Ange Postecoglou poised for Australia
Ange Postecoglou is reportedly set to step in as the Australia national team coach, with the only delay coming in the form of compensation negotiations between Football Federation Australia and his club Melbourne Victory.
Postecoglou has revealed discussions have taken place with FFA, but with his current contract running until 2015, the Victory are understood to be seeking AU$1 million if they lose their head coach.
On Tuesday, the 48-year-old would not confirm if he would still be at the club for Friday evening's tantalising home clash against his former side Brisbane Roar, saying only "we'll see what happens" to Fox Sports News.
Ahead of Central Coast Mariners boss Graham Arnold and Tony Popovic from the Western Sydney Wanderers, Postecoglou is favourite to take the job, with media reports in Australia rife that an announcement over the vacant role will be made this week.
The speculation has risen steadily since the sacking of Holger Osieck earlier in October following two successive 6-0 thrashings at the hands of Brazil and France.
Postecoglou, meantime, has told his Melbourne team to remain focused on this week's fixture against Brisbane, despite the hype around his seemingly imminent appointment.
"He said there's obviously a lot of speculation going on and that the club is working through it and we will be notified if anything changes," said Victory player Mitch Nichols. "He just said to really look forward to Friday night [against the Roar] and get our first win of the season."