Man arrested for filming Qatar sites
A German journalist was arrested in Doha, Qatar for filming construction sites for the 2022 World Cup earlier this month.
Peter Giesel, 45, had been hoping to get in touch with locals to learn more about the working conditions of the employees on the construction sites in Qatar, according to German media reports.
“The work target in Doha was to get in touch with people who could give an insight on how the workers on the construction sites feel,” he told Sueddeutsche Zeitung.
Mr Giesel entered the country without an assignment from a TV station and without permission to film. He had been filming one of the many construction sites in Doha from the balcony of his hotel room in the city centre, Sueddeutsche Zeitung claims.
Mr Giesel was reportedly arrested in his hotel room in Doha by the Qatar Federal State Police Department alongside colleague Robin Ahne, 25, on Oct. 3 as a result.
Mr Giesel was interrogated, and had to repeatedly admit to having made a mistake by filming in the country without permission. He was eventually released after 27 hours imprisonment following the intervention of the German Embassy in Qatar.
Upon his release all seized working materials, such as laptops, cameras, smartphones and storage media, were returned, Sueddeutsche Zeitung reports.
A spokesperson of the Qatar Media Corporation told him that there have been just a few tragic accidents on the construction sites.
But Mr Giesel said: “I have my doubts that, in 2022, in front of the eyes of the world press a World Cup can be celebrated here."