Trending: World Cup lineup complete; Italy sack Gian Piero Ventura
Thursday's latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC's What's Trending ...
- The seedings for the 2018 World Cup finals draw can now be confirmed after Peru booked the 32nd and last place at next summer's tournament in Russia.
- Alexis Sanchez and Gareth Bale headline a host of big names who will be absent from next summer's World Cup after their countries failed to qualify.
ITALY: Gian Piero Ventura has been sacked as coach of Italy after failing to guide them to next summer's World Cup, the Italian Football Federation has announced.
- FIGC president Carlo Tavecchio says he is seeking a "big name" successor to Ventura.
- Daniele De Rossi boarded the Sweden bus following Italy's World Cup playoff defeat in Milan on Monday to apologise for the whistles heard during the Swedish national anthem.
- Barcelona forward Munir El Haddadi is hopeful that FIFA will grant him clearance to represent Morocco at the 2018 World Cup.
- Manchester United have renewed their interest in West Ham teenager Domingos Quina, with scouts watching the 17-year-old score for Portugal under-19s against Spain this week, sources have told ESPN FC.
- Jose Mourinho has spoken of his frustration after losing defender Phil Jones to injury during the international break.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has backed himself to be a better player when he makes his comeback for Manchester United.
- Mourinho has said the strength of the Premier League and the lack of a winter break will prevent English clubs from dominating the Champions League this season.
- Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo has made his comeback after 209 days out injured.
- Marouane Fellaini will not be sold in January even if that means Manchester United lose the midfielder on a free transfer in the summer, sources have told ESPN FC.
ARSENAL: Arsene Wenger has said his Arsenal players will have "no fear" against Tottenham on Saturday and scoffed at the notion that they are underdogs in the North London derby.
- Arsene Wenger says Santi Cazorla's injury problems are the worst he has ever seen a player go through, but still hopes the midfielder will return to the pitch soon.
TOTTENHAM: Tottenham's Eric Dier has told Sky Sports that Arsenal will face "the best Christian Eriksen we've ever seen" in Saturday's North London derby.
LIVERPOOL: Jurgen Klopp has returned to Liverpool's Melwood training ground after he was forced to miss Wednesday's session because he was in hospital with illness, a source has told ESPN FC.
- Wolfsburg's attempts to sign on-loan Liverpool forward Divock Origi on a permanent basis could get more difficult with every goal he scores, sporting director Olaf Rebbe has said.
MAN CITY: Former Manchester City forward Robinho wants to go back to his old club and watch their latest Brazilian star Gabriel Jesus.
- John Stones believes he has emerged as a better player after coming through a difficult period following his move to Manchester City.
LA LIGA: La Liga will implement a video assistant referee (VAR) system from the 2018-19 campaign, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has announced.
SEVILLA: Corinthians left-back Guilherme Arana is close to joining La Liga side Sevilla.
CHELSEA: Willian says he does not know why Chelsea allowed Ruben Loftus-Cheek to go on loan to Crystal Palace after facing the 21-year-old in Brazil's goalless draw with England on Tuesday.
- Chelsea are finding it more difficult in the Premier League this season because winning the title is a "virus," according to former midfielder Gus Poyet.
BELGIUM: Romelu Lukaku will have to wait to become his country's all-time top goal scorer -- despite Belgium already proclaiming him to be the record holder.
- Belgium's friendly game against with Japan in Bruges on Wednesday was almost called off due to a terrorist threat.
REP. IRELAND: Martin O'Neill has indicated that he plans to stay on as Republic of Ireland manager despite the nation's failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.
- Clint Dempsey has signed a new contract with the Seattle Sounders, multiple sources have confirmed to ESPN FC.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.