Sources: Moyes in frame for Everton return after shock Silva sack
David Moyes is being considered for a return to Everton to replace sacked manager Marco Silva, but sources have told ESPN that there are divisions within the Goodison Park hierarchy over the Scot returning to the role he left in order to take charge of Manchester United in May 2013.
Silva, who replaced Sam Allardyce as Everton manager in the summer of 2018, was relieved of his duties on Thursday, a day after the club's 5-2 defeat against Liverpool at Anfield left it in the Premier League bottom three.
Everton, in their statement announcing Silva's sacking, added that Duncan Ferguson has taken temporary charge and will manage the side for the game against Chelsea on Saturday.
Following the Chelsea match, Everton face Manchester United and Arsenal.
Silva, who previously managed at Hull City and Watford, had retained the backing of Everton director Marcel Brands, sources had told ESPN, but with the club fearing a relegation battle in the second half of the season, there is support in some quarters for Moyes to return to help inspire a revival.
Moyes, who was sacked after just 11 months in charge of United in 2014, suffered relegation as Sunderland manager in 2016-2017 and he has not worked since leaving West Ham at the end of the 2017-18 season.
A vocal section of the Everton fan base is against his return as manager, with anti-Moyes graffiti being daubed on the walls of Goodison last week.
Moyes' supporters regard him as offering stability and experience, however, and a proven track record of being able to succeed at Goodison, following his previous 11-year stint as manager.
Mark Hughes, a former Everton player, is another candidate, although sources have told ESPN that the former Manchester City and Southampton manager is an outsider to replace Silva.