Police arrest Italian man in relation to Sean Cox attack
Italian police have arrested a man in relation to the attack that left Liverpool supporter Sean Cox in a critical condition outside Anfield in April.
Merseyside Police said on Monday they had helped forces in Rome to arrest a 30-year-old man, who now faces extradition to the U.K.
Cox, 53, from Dunboyne in Ireland, has recently started a rehabilitation programme after he suffered a bleed on the brain as a result of the attack.
"The man was arrested on a European Arrest Warrant on suspicion of assault following the incident outside Anfield ahead of the Champions League match between Liverpool FC and AS Roma on April 24," Merseyside Police said in a press release.
"He has appeared in court in Rome on Saturday Oct. 6 and has been remanded ahead of an extradition hearing."
Two other Italian men were previously charged following the incident.
Daniele Sciusco, 29, admitted violent disorder and was jailed for two-and-a-half years in August.
Filippo Lombardi, 21, has denied violent disorder and wounding/inflicting grievous bodily harm and remains in custody, with his trial set to begin on Thursday.
Martina Cox, Sean's wife, has spoken publicly for the first time about the devastating impact of her husband's injuries.
"He can see but his sight is compromised," she told the Irish Independent. "He probably has double or treble vision. He can see us when we come in, but if you show him a small photograph it's probably a bit hazy to him.
"His hearing seems fine. People go in and tell him stories and he's laughing and smiling but he can't communicate with us. That's probably one of the worst things about all this.
"They say you never get back the same person but obviously we're going to try and push him.
"We want Sean back as best we can so we will do whatever we have to do to get him to the optimum level."