Everton
Bolívar
12:30 AM UTC Apr 25, 2018
Deportivo Lara
Millonarios
10:15 PM UTC Apr 24, 2018

Mustafi: I am happy at Arsenal

Tottenham appealing to have goal vs. Stoke given to Harry Kane, not Christian Eriksen - source

Although the Premier League awarded Tottenham's second goal against Stoke to Christian Eriksen, Mauricio Pochettino reveals Harry Kane still feels it grazed his shoulder on its way in.

Tottenham have appealed the Premier League's decision to award their second goal against Stoke City to Christian Eriksen over Harry Kane, a source close to the situation has told ESPN.

Kane, who is hoping to win a third consecutive Golden Boot, was insistent that he touched Eriksen's free kick in Saturday's 2-1 win at the bet365 Stadium.

But after a review by a former player and referee, the Premier League deemed that Kane did not touch the ball and awarded Eriksen his second goal of the game.

But if Spurs can present sufficient evidence to overturn the decision, Kane will move onto 25 league goals for the campaign -- four behind Liverpool's Mohamed Salah.

Harry Kane swore he touched Christian Eriksen's free kick before it found the net.
Harry Kane swears he touched Christian Eriksen's free kick before it found the net.

The England international is aiming to become the first player since Thierry Henry from 2003-06 to win the accolade three years in a row.

Asked after the game if he had scored, Kane said: "I swear on my daughter's life that I touched the ball, but there's nothing I can do.

"If they turn it around, they turn it around. If they take my word, they take my word. It is what it is, the most important thing is that we won the game."

Asked if he can catch Salah, who has 29 goals, Kane added: "Yeah, I still believe I can. Look, whatever happens, there are still games to go.

"I've got to focus on my game. I can't control what he does. Obviously, as a striker, it would be great to win the Golden Boot again and I will keep working hard from now until the end of the season."

Kane's Spurs contract includes significant performance-related bonuses but he does not have a separate bonus for winning the Golden Boot.

Dan is ESPN FC's Tottenham correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @Dan_KP.

Comments