Bournemouth to contest Tyrone Mings violent conduct charge - report
Bournemouth will contest Tyrone Mings' alleged violent conduct charge and the Football Association's recommendation that he serves a longer ban, the Press Association has reported.
Mings and Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic were charged on Monday over incidents in Saturday's 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.
The Bournemouth defender's left boot landed on the head of Ibrahimovic before the Manchester United player's elbow struck him in the face in an incident moments later.
Announcing the charges, the FA argued that the standard three-match ban was "clearly insufficient" for Mings, and the Press Association said Bournemouth intend to challenge the suggestion of an increased suspension.
A three-match punishment would rule Mings out of Bournemouth's fixtures against West Ham, Swansea and Southampton.
But a longer ban could see him sidelined against Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham.
His tussle with Ibrahimovic was ignited on the stroke of half-time on Saturday when, in looking to hurdle both Wayne Rooney and the Swede, Mings' boot caught the United striker behind the ear.
Later in the same United attack, Mings and Ibrahimovic went up for a header and the latter's right elbow struck the former in the face.
Both players escaped punishment as referee Kevin Friend did not see the incidents but were charged on Monday after a panel of three former elite referees had reviewed the video footage.
United and England captain Rooney had called for Mings to be punished for the action while ex-Liverpool defender and television pundit Jamie Carragher labelled the apparent stamp "disgraceful."
Mings denied it had been a deliberate act and said: "I obviously didn't mean it, but if there is reaction, there is reaction -- everyone will have an opinion. That is football.''
Like Mings, Ibrahimovic has been given until 6pm on Tuesday to respond to his charge.
He stands to miss next Monday's FA Cup quarterfinal at Chelsea and the Premier League encounters with Middlesbrough and West Brom.
Speaking after Saturday's game, he said: "I respect every decision.
"I am not here to attack anybody. My purpose was not to do that. The game is hard."