Crystal Palace manager Alan Smith has signed Middlesbrough's Craig Harrison for £200,000 - but is refusing to raise his £2.2 million offer for Southampton striker James Beattie.
Left-back Harrison, 22, has been on loan at Selhurst Park since the start of the season and has played in every game under Smith, who is also keen on Latvian goalkeeper Alexander Kolinko.
He cut short a trial at Palace to represent his country in tomorrow's World Cup qualifier against Scotland. However, England Under-21 striker Beattie will only join Palace if Saints manager Glenn Hoddle accepts the First Division club's original bid.
Smith said: 'We have made what we consider a very good offer for Beattie, in excess of £2m, but it was refused. The deal is off unless they change their view.
'Harrison has looked a very good player and we always wanted to get him permanently.
'We also like the Latvian keeper and he did well on trial. We will watch him against Scotland and take it from there.'
Palace travel to The Hawthorns on Sunday for West Bromwich Albion's centenary game without Mikael Forssell. The striker is in Finland's squad for tomorrow's World Cup qualifier with Albania.
Smith added: 'We are without three players - Forssell, Wayne Carlisle, who is with Northern Ireland, and Stephen Evans (Wales Under-21's).
'It is not ideal and I could have asked not to play the game, but it is their centenary and that would have been a bit bloody-minded of me.'
Brentford manager Ron Noades is hoping to sign a defender on loan before tomorrow's game at home to Wycombe. He admitted: 'I want to get someone in with a view to them coming permanently because we're looking to the long-term here.'
Noades has been rocked by the discovery that defenders Danny Boxall (knee) and Ijah Anderson (ligaments) will miss the whole season, while Paul Gibbs (leg fracture) and Lloyd Owusu (shoulder) will also be out for several months.
Injury-hit Brentford will be further depleted for the visit of third-placed Wycombe as midfielder Martin Rowlands is on Republic of Ireland Under-21 duty and Darren Powell has a hamstring problem.
Leyton Orient look set to be unchanged for the trip to Halifax.
Manager Tommy Taylor anticipates a tough match at The Shay and is glad that he will be in a position to name the same team which beat Scunthorpe on Monday. That victory left Orient second in the Third Division.
He said: 'We did the double against Halifax last season, but it's always difficult up there.'
Barnet have confirmed new youth coach Ian Culverhouse will not be registered as a player at Underhill.
The 35-year-old former Norwich defender, who started his career at Tottenham, played more than 30 games while he was Brighton's assistant manager, but he has now hung up his boots.
The Bees, who have not won since the opening day of the season when they beat Shrewsbury at home, hope to be unchanged for the visit to Saltergate to face table-toppers Chesterfield who have won three and drawn one so far this term.
However, there is a doubt over midfielder Fraser Toms, who suffered a groin strain during the defeat at York City on Monday.