Cairo to host Egypt World Cup qualifier
Egypt’s World Cup qualifier against Ghana will be played in Cairo, the Egyptian Football Association have confirmed.
In a statement on their website they said that, following extensive discussions, the country’s sports minister Taher Abou Zeid agreed to make concessions for the game which is set to take place on November 19.
Restrictions had been in place since a post-match pitch invasion at a game between Al Masry and Al Ahli at Port Said last year resulted in 74 casualties.
That disaster led to the cancellation of the domestic league season and restrictions on crowds watching Egypt’s national team or top club sides in continental competition.
In February, one year after the Port Said stadium disaster, Egypt’s league resumed only to be called off for a second successive season after president Mohamed Morsi was overthrown in July.
Al Ahli and Zamalek -- in the group phase of the African Champions League -- are the only Egyptian sides to have taken part in any competitive action of note, although all of their home matches have been played at the Red Sea resort of El Gouna.
Egypt finished top of their qualifying group, despite their off-pitch difficulties and some games being played behind closed doors, and now face a two-legged play-off to clinch a place at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.