Sunderland supporters are not accustomed to good news and even their annual battle against relegation only ever sets them up for another year of misery.
Managers come and go, money is spent and games are lost. It never seems to get better. But this week, something wonderful happened -- Lee Cattermole signed a new five-year contract with the club.
BEST OF ESPN FC
- Cox: Goals lacking in major tournament finals
- Macintosh: Pre-season is fun but means little
- Marcotti: Chile win a Copa America to savour
- Miller: Arsenal be wary of Sanchez burnout
- Toe Poke: Ronaldo returns phone | Fitness ad
- ESPN FC TV: Lampard on MLS | Pirlo | Cech
- Transfer Talk | News | Done deals | FC TV
There was a point when it seemed certain that he would leave. In 2013, stripped of his No.6 shirt and ostracised by former manager Paolo Di Canio, he...