Real Sociedad refused to consider selling their midfielder Sergio Canales to Aston Villa, sources have told ESPN.
Villa lodged a bid to sign the 23-year-old attacking midfielder on transfer deadline day, but the Spanish club opted not to accept the offer and told Villa they had 'no interest' in a deal.
The rejection comes as a blow to Villa, who also failed in an attempt to sign Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley.
Transfer window round-up
- Premier League: Team-by-team ins and outs
- Transfer Centre: All the done deals
- Brewin: Premier League stars left in limbo
- Delaney: What did we learn on deadline day?
- Horncastle: European transfer grades
- Smith: Transfers more important than the game?
- Macintosh: We worship goals, not balance sheets
Villa will have to contend themselves with one major addition ...