Newcastle have announced the signing of Chancel Mbemba and hope he will be granted a work permit in time to start the Premier League season at the club.
The 20-year-old DR Congo defender was granted governing body endorsement at a Football Association panel hearing on Thursday, and now needs just visa clearance to launch his Newcastle career.
Mbemba has become Newcastle's third signing of the summer after making the switch from Anderlecht, with head coach Steve McClaren keen to tie up the remaining...
Former Newcastle midfielder Jonas Gutierrez is unhappy with the way his exit from the Northeast club was handled, and claims his former team lacked honestly in their dealings.
Ex-Magpies defender Ryan Taylor revealed last month that he and Gutierrez both discovered that they were to be released by Newcastle via the same phone call.
BEST OF ESPN FC
- Cox: Direct Arsenal bunt Chelsea | Ratings: Arsenal | Chelsea
- Tyler: Prem survival guide | Lindberg: Managerial volatility
- Toe Poke: Top 1-50 shirt numbers | Walcott must justify deal
- Brewin: Can Harry Kane succeed again? | Top four hope
- Burton: Prem's breakout players | Darke club-by-club guide
- Jones: Gerrard in L.A. | Parker: All-Star format needs tweak?
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ESPN FC TV | Fantasy
Gutierrez, who battled back from testicular cancer to score the goal that helped keep Newcastle from relegation last season, was unimpressed with episode at the time....
When fighting relegation is the expectation for the new season, bringing in new management represents a serious gamble. Three clubs with such an outlook have taken on such a bet, at a moment of increasingly high stakes. New managers rarely arrive at clubs in positions of strength and winning the hearts and minds of owners, players and fans comes only from the delivery of decent results and good football.
Each of West Ham, Leicester and Newcastle are at considerable risk with their new appointments....