Juan Roman Riquelme has revealed that Manchester United tried to sign him in 2006 -- and said that turning Sir Alex Ferguson down was the only regret of his career.
The Argentine had helped Manuel Pellegrini's Villarreal team reach the last four of the Champions League when he said United attempted to buy him.
BEST OF ESPN FC
- Cox: Good for country, indifferent for club
- Utd want keeper record fee for De Gea - sources
- Brewin: Liverpool's unwanted XI
- Yokhin: Douglas Costa's chance at Bayern
- Jolly: Top Prem stars available in 2016
- Canales: Chicharito injury a crushing blow
- Toe Poke: Bale's incredible basketball shot
- FC TV: Gab-O-Meter on Pogba move to Barcelona
- Transfer Talk | News | All the done deals
But the playmaker opted to stay in Spain and missed out on playing his part in a hugely successful period for United.
"The only thing I regret in my career was a decision that I took,...
Raymond Domenech has told Hugo Lloris to leave Tottenham for a bigger club -- but suggested a transfer to Manchester United would be a sideways move.
The former France manager, who led his country to the 2006 World Cup final and who gave Lloris his international debut two years later, believes the goalkeeper needs to be playing in the Champions League.
But while United, who finished fourth, have a playoff to secure a place in the Champions League group stage and while Lloris has been tipped to replace...
Manchester United are waiting to see how long their record signing Angel Di Maria will be sidelined for after he was injured in the Copa America final.
The £59.7 million winger suffered a hamstring problem in the first half of Argentina's game with Chile, which Jorge Sampaoli's team went on to win on penalties after a 0-0 draw.
Di Maria, who was replaced by Ezequiel Lavezzi, was hurt when he went on a solo run and his bad luck with injuries in major tournaments continued.
The former Real Madrid...