It's not even 10 years ago that Manchester City's motto would have been better as "Wallow in self-pity" rather than "pride in battle." Only City could mess up in ways previously unknown to the sport.
There was no reason for the fans to think that a bad run of form would come to an end -- and it was always a surprise when they went away from home and put three past a slightly better team.
MANCHESTER CITY LATEST
- Boiling Point: Man City disrespected fans
- Mooney: No excuses after shock cup loss
- Pellegrini: Trip to Abu Dhabi not to blame
- Sources: Milner off to Liverpool
- FC TV: Marco Reus on the radar
- Hart: City can put things right at Chelsea
- Mooney: City failing with same old routine
Maybe it's wishful thinking based on a flimsy string of recent evidence, but there's been a shift at Eastlands...