Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has said his side's exit from the Champions League is "a huge disappointment for us and for French football."
Last season's Ligue 1 runners-up conceded in injury time as they lost 2-1 at home to Belgian champions Gent on Tuesday.
That result means Lyon do not have the consolation of a place in the Europa League -- which a third-placed finish would have given them - and are guaranteed to finish bottom of Group H.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Jolly: Man Utd nearing exit | Shaw: Hard to watch | Ratings
- Madrid Ratings: Ronaldo finds form | Real still a top team?
- Rzouki: Juve jumpstart | Man City ratings | Ibra goes home
- Macintosh: Arsenal have hope | Sanchez and Ozil top ratings
- Corrigan: Complete Barca | Johnson: How teams can qualify
- FC TV: Barca the best | Pellegrini's problem | Man Utd to lose
- Highlights (U.S. only): Premier League | Champions League
- News index | Transfer Talk | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
Lyon are second in Ligue 1, but Aulas said the lack...