December is here, and once again we've had a weekend where Arsenal picked up more injuries than points. But is it really the nightmare before Christmas for Arsene Wenger?
The answer most people would give is a resounding yes, but while it's very easy to label Arsenal as the league's crock club, are the injuries really indicative of this?
The stats certainly don't come to that conclusion as we see a completely different picture. This is something Wenger may be keen to convey to concerned fans.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Marcotti's Musings: Mourinho challenges Diego Costa
- Miller: Prem is lacking | Evans: Wenger criticism unfair
- Tactics Board | Mitten: Schweinsteiger's still got "it"
- Corrigan: La Liga what we learned | Player Power Rankings
- Heroes and Villains: Pardew's day of joy, Costa's bib fit
- Delaney: Chelsea, Spurs draw | Mourinho on Costa | TOTW
- FC TV: Pep undecided | Chelsea incomplete | Arsenal injuries
- Highlights (U.S. only): Premier League | Champions League
- News index | Transfer Talk | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
LIVERPOOL -- Jurgen Klopp has jokingly dismissed the idea of picking Steven Gerrard for Wednesday's Capital One Cup quarterfinal at Southampton -- but has praised his influence since returning to train with Liverpool.
The former Reds captain is keeping up his fitness at Melwood before he returns to preseason training with Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy in January.
Gerrard, 35, began training with the club on Monday, and manager Klopp feels that his presence is already having a positive influence.
LIVERPOOL -- Jurgen Klopp has ruled out a move for Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland by declaring that he is happy with Simon Mignolet as his No. 1.
Mignolet has suffered inconsistent spells of form since his £9 million move from Sunderland to Liverpool in 2013, and was even dropped briefly in favour of Brad Jones last December.
The Belgium international recovered from that set-back to re-establish himself as the club's leading goalkeeper after an injury to Jones opened the door for him to reclaim...
Many people regard the 21st century as not being terribly kind to Liverpool so far, but they will compete in their 20th cup quarterfinal since 2000 when they face Southampton on Wednesday.
The League Cup, in all its various sponsorship guises, has been especially good for Liverpool. They have played in four finals in the past 14 years and won three of them.
It does favour the bigger clubs who regularly play in Europe, as they get to skip the earlier rounds. This season, for instance, Liverpool...