Trending: Trent Alexander-Arnold helps Liverpool edge toward UCL
Wednesday's latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC's What's Trending...
- Hoffenheim coach Julian Nagelsmann has rejected Jurgen Klopp's claim that Liverpool kept the Bundesliga side under control throughout the game.
- Jurgen Klopp says he forced Alexander-Arnold to be on free kick-taking duty as the youngster scored his first goal for Liverpool.
- Fulham have signed Liverpool forward Sheyi Ojo on a season-long loan.
- Gianluigi Buffon, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are the three shortlisted players for the UEFA Player of the Year award.
ARSENAL: Arsene Wenger has said again that Alexis Sanchez will remain an Arsenal player for the season and downplayed any comparisons between the Chilean's and Chelsea's Diego Costa.
- Wenger is intent on keeping both Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jack Wilshere at the club this season, even if it means losing both on a free transfer next summer.
- Arsenal have turned down Deportivo La Coruna's latest bid of €12 million for forward Lucas Perez, according to the player's agent.
BARCELONA: Real Madrid winger Marco Asensio's agent has told Bleacher Report that Barcelona "lost the opportunity" to sign the player as a teenager due to a disagreement over payment terms with his former club Real Mallorca.
- Sergio Busquets has said it is "clear" that Barcelona need to make more signings following the departure of Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain.
- Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde has warned against judging Paulinho too soon after his €40 million arrival from Guangzhou Evergrande was agreed.
REAL MADRID: Cristiano Ronaldo is out of Wednesday's Spanish Super Cup second leg against Barcelona after the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) appeals committee turned down Real Madrid's attempt to overturn his five-game ban.
- Madrid supporters are planning a white-handkerchief protest for Wednesday's Spanish Super Cup second leg at home to Barcelona after Ronaldo was hit with a five-match suspension.
- Zinedine Zidane says he remains hopeful that Cristiano Ronaldo will be available for Wednesday's Spanish Super Cup second leg at home to Barcelona -- despite his five-match ban for being sent off in Sunday's first leg.
- Eduardo Alvarez on why Wednesday's Super Cup second leg against Barcelona is a must-win for Real Madrid.
MAN UNITED: Jose Mourinho is prepared to wait until January before making further additions to his Manchester United squad after deciding against funding a move for a fourth summer signing by offloading his fringe players, sources have told ESPN FC.
- Jesse Lingard has told ESPN FC he would welcome another new arrival at Manchester United this summer, even if that means having to fight harder for a place in the team.
- Michael Carrick has told United's fringe players to be patient this season as they look to break into Jose Mourinho's first team.
- Paul Pogba believes he has returned from Juventus as a man and is ready to achieve the one goal that matters: winning the Premier League.
- Anthony Martial is emerging from the shadows after Jose Mourinho's tough love, Scott Patterson writes.
PSG: Paris Saint-Germain are working to offload Blaise Matuidi, Lucas Moura, Serge Aurier, Hatem Ben Arfa and Grzegorz Krychowiak after loaning Jese to Stoke, sources have told ESPN FC.
STOKE: Stoke have announced the signing of Spanish forward Jese Rodriguez on a season-long loan from Paris Saint-Germain.
VILLARREAL: Villarreal have confirmed the signing of Carlos Bacca from AC Milan on loan for the season with a view to a permanent move.
LAS PALMAS: Las Palmas have released Kevin-Prince Boateng after reaching an agreement to terminate his contract following the player's request to leave the La Liga club due to "irreversible personal reasons."
DORTMUND: U.S. international Christian Pulisic has said he is happy at Borussia Dortmund amid renewed rumours he could join Liverpool.
- Emre Mor's transfer to Inter Milan has "collapsed for now," according to Borussia Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc.
WERDER BREMEN: U.S. international Aron Johannsson has said "won't get another chance" at Werder Bremen but would welcome the chance to remain in Germany.
CHELSEA: Eden Hazard and Tiemoue Bakayoko have taken another step toward full fitness by returning to first-team training at Chelsea this week, although neither is likely to be fit enough to feature against Tottenham on Sunday.
- Chelsea have fined Diego Costa two weeks' wages for failing to return to training as the dispute over his future rumbles on, according to reports.
EVERTON: Everton have agreed a deal worth up to £45 million for Swansea playmaker Gylfi Sigurdsson, according to multiple reports.
TOTTENHAM: Tottenham remain locked in talks with Ajax over Davinson Sanchez, sources have told ESPN FC, but the defender has been named in the Dutch club's squad for Thursday's Europa League playoff against Rosenborg.
- Spurs will bank 10 percent of the transfer fee if Gylfi Sigurdsson completes his move from Swansea to Everton, sources have told ESPN FC.
ENGLAND: The Russian National Tourist Office in London is providing information to England fans to help "dispel their doubts about security matters" ahead of the 2018 World Cup.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.