Mourinho hints at star summer signing
Jose Mourinho again indicated that Chelsea will sign a world-class striker in the summer window.
• Lythell: Blues firing blanks
Although the Portuguese denied any deals have been done, despite speculation about the likes of Wayne Rooney, Diego Costa and Radamel Falcao, Mourinho says the club know what they want and have been making moves in that direction.
The Stamford Bridge coach stated that there will be no more business done in this window following the confirmed purchase of Saint-Etienne’s Kurt Zouma. Mourinho stated they had to act on the 19-year-old defender -- who will remain at the French outfit until July -- because he was attracting interest elsewhere. The fee is understood to be around 12.5 million pounds.
When asked why he hadn’t bought a forward, Mourinho said “you will understand” in the summer, inviting questions on whether any moves had already been made.
“No. But we know what we want," he said. "We don't want to do things like emergency plans. It's not our profile now. We know it's difficult and will be very difficult, but our objective is to finish in a Champions League spot. That's the competitive objective, because the greater objective is the improvement of the team and preparing the team for the future."
“To do something now as an emergency plan is not the best thing. The players we're signing now are the right ones for our future: [Nemanja] Matic, [Mohamed] Salah, Zouma, a young kid for the future... We don't sign a striker now as an emergency plan to score half a dozen goals to give us half a dozen extra points, whatever they mean for us. So we're waiting for the summer to do the right thing in that area. But no deals. We just know basically what we want, and we know what we want is impossible to get in this transfer window.”
Mourinho was asked about his comment that he needed a “Black & Decker to break down” West Ham United’s walls in the 0-0 draw last Wednesday.
“There are walls and walls. We have what we have, and we're happy with what we have. We are preparing next season much more than this season. We are happy with the situation, and we still have a few hours of market but I've kept saying the same for a long time. We did other things, not the striker. I've said that for a couple of months. Nothing in January [for a forward]. For many people, you and our fans, people don't understand why we didn't do anything. But in the summer you will understand why we didn't do anything.”