Sydney FC
Shandong Luneng Taishan
Leg 2Aggregate: 3 - 3
Game Details
Pumas UNAM
Independiente del Valle
(3) 2
(5) 1
Leg 2Aggregate: 3 - 3Independiente del Valle wins 5-3 on Penalty Kicks.
Game Details
3:00 PM UTC
Game Details
Congo DR
6:00 PM UTC
Game Details
United States
12:00 AM UTC May 26, 2016
Game Details
Orlando City SC
Philadelphia Union
11:30 PM UTC
Game Details
Manchester CityManchester City
(1) 1
(3) 1
Manchester City wins 3-1 on Penalty Kicks.
Game Details
ESPN FC  By ESPN staff

Man City get revenge on Wigan

Stevan Jovetic fires home City's third goal in the thrashing of Wigan.
Stevan Jovetic fires home City's third goal in the thrashing of Wigan.

Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur both recorded big wins in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday night, while Chelsea saw off Swindon Town.

Manchester City avenged their FA Cup final defeat to Wigan Athletic, beating the Championship side 5-0 at the Etihad Stadium with Stevan Jovetic scoring his first goals for the club.

The hosts had been dominant in the opening stages but could not make their superiority count, Edin Dzeko missing the best of their chances in the opening half-hour. However, on 33 minutes, Dzeko atoned for his earlier miss with a clinical finish after being set up by Fernandinho.

City could have been two up early in the second half as Wigan defender Stephen Crainey cracked the ball off his own side's goal frame. They did not have to wait long for their second though, as Jovetic scored his first goal for the club since his £25 million transfer from Fiorentina in the summer.

Fourteen minutes from time, Yaya Toure smashed home a free-kick, while Jovetic struck his second with seven minutes to go, and Jesus Navas completed the scoring three minutes later.

Chelsea edged into the fourth round with a 2-0 win over battling Swindon Town.

Out-of-favour pair David Luiz and Juan Mata were handed a chance to impress by manager Jose Mourinho, and both were involved in early chances for the visitors.

Luiz forced Swindon goalkeeper Wes Foderingham into a smart save with a thundering free-kick before Mata slipped in fellow Spaniard Fernando Torres, who also found the home side's No. 1 in fine form.

Soon after, Mata was involved in the opening goal as his effort was parried by Foderingham into the path of Torres who made no mistake.

The lead was doubled six minutes later when Ramires, on for the injured Marco van Ginkel, latched onto a Torres through ball before finding the top corner.

Tottenham began their quest for a trip to Wembley with a 4-0 win over Aston Villa, with Lewis Holtby the star turn.

The visitors broke through on 45 minutes and it owed much to the vision and intuition of Holtby, who deftly lifted the ball over the Villa defence and on to the head of the onrushing Jermain Defoe, who had the simple task of glancing a header past goalkeeper Jed Steer.

Four minutes after the restart, the game seemed to be put beyond Villa’s reach as Paulinho diverted in Holtby’s corner with a high boot, and Spurs made sure with late efforts from Nacer Chadli and Defoe.

Fulham came from behind to put Everton out with a 2-1 win at Craven Cottage.

Romelu Lukaku and James McCarthy were handed their Everton debuts by manager Roberto Martinez, and their side jumped out to an early lead. Steven Naismith continued his good goal-scoring start to the season with the opener on 12 minutes, set up with great poise by on-loan Barcelona forward Gerard Deulofeu.

They were pegged back nine minutes into the second half, though, as Dimitar Berbatov punished some poor defending to prod home from close range. Then strike partner Bent scored his second goal in two games at Craven Cottage midway through the second half to hand Martinez his first defeat as Everton manager.

Sunderland began life after Paolo Di Canio with a comfortable 2-0 win over Peterborough at the Stadium of Light.

Emanuele Giaccherini struck the opening goal as he converted Lee Cattermole’s cross on 32 minutes. The match was settled on 74 minutes when Valentin Roberge headed home his first goal for the club and gave caretaker manager Kevin Ball a welcome victory.

West Ham United threw away a two-goal lead but still battled past Premier League rivals Cardiff City 3-2 at Upton Park.

Matt Jarvis had a hand in the opener after only two minutes as his shot was blocked and fell into the path of Ravel Morrison, who blasted home. Jarvis then added a second six minutes later after good play between Morrison and Ricardo Vaz Te allowed him to get in a shot from the left, which was helped into the net by a deflection.

Cardiff regained their composure and shortly after a shocking miss from James Collins, they pulled a goal back through Craig Noone right on the stroke of half-time. They were level on 76 minutes when Peter Odemwingie struck, but Vaz Te had the final say with just two minutes remaining.

Two goals from Gary Hooper on his first start helped Norwich City overcome a two-goal deficit to knock out Watford 3-2 after extra-time at Vicarage Road.

The Championship side broke through midway through the first half as a Javier Acuna shot from 25 yards rifled into the Norwich net past Mark Bunn. Ten minutes after the restart, it was 2-0 thanks to Marco Faroani's long-range effort.

Norwich struck back with 13 minutes to go as Josh Murphy crashed in another spectacular goal from distance, and the Premier League side forced extra-time with a late strike from Hooper, making his first start since his summer move from Celtic. The striker then scored the winner five minutes from time to complete a remarkable turnaround.

Goals at either end of the game eased Southampton past League One strugglers Bristol City 2-0 at St Mary’s.

Gaston Ramirez gave Southampton the lead on 15 minutes as he volleyed home a cross from James Ward-Prowse, and Jos Hooiveld headed home a Ward-Prowse corner with seven minutes to go.

Nick Proschwitz was on target as Hull City beat Huddersfield Town 1-0 at the KC Stadium.

Burnley overcame Nottingham Forest 2-1 at Turf Moor thanks to two goals from Danny Ings, while Leicester City scored twice in the last 12 minutes of their home tie against Derby County to advance 2-1.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.