Dortmund's Marc Bartra on bus attack: I thought I would never play again
Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Bartra admits he feared for his career following the attack on the Bundesliga team's bus before a Champions League quarterfinal match with Monaco in April.
The former Barcelona man was the only player to suffer significant injuries during the three explosions that damaged the team charter, with the 26-year-old requiring surgery for a broken bone in his wrist after being struck by a piece of shrapnel.
Bartra returned to action in Dortmund's 4-3 defeat of Werder Bremen on the final day of the Bundesliga season last week, but confessed on Sunday the ordeal left him concerned about his future.
"When the attack happened, I thought I would never be able to play again," Bartra told Kicker after Dortmund's 2-1 DFB-Pokal triumph over Eintracht Frankfurt. "I could not move in the first five or 10 minutes and I could not hear anything.
"When the doctor told me after the surgery that everything was going well and I was going to be able to play again in a month, that was indescribable and the most beautiful news.
"I feel stronger today than ever before. I was very sad that such a thing could happen -- it was a few damn difficult weeks -- but now we can all enjoy this victory."
Bartra then backed under-fire boss Thomas Tuchel, who could be on his way out at the club after a reported clash with the Dortmund board concerning this season.
"We might not have been so consistent in the Bundesliga, but we played well in the Champions League and won the cup," he added.
"I can only use good words about Thomas Tuchel. Thanks to him I could play at a high level. I think he did a good job in general."
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.