Transfer Talk: Manchester United to battle Liverpool for Bruno Fernandes
The transfer window for Europe's biggest clubs is closed, but click here for all the deals and keep track of who has joined the big boys. Transfer Talk will continue to scour the world's media and set correspondents loose to see what's on the agenda for the summer.
TOP STORY: United and Liverpool to lock horns over Fernandes
Manchester United have made contact with midfielder Bruno Fernandes' agent about a possible summer move from Sporting Lisbon, according to A Bola.
That means the Red Devils could be competing with Liverpool for the 24-year-old's signature after he was linked with a move to Anfield last week.
Fernandes has scored 22 goals in all competitions for Sporting CP in an exceptional season so far.
The club could be keen to cash in on their captain as they face financial uncertainty, and he is reported to have a release clause of £90m. That, however, could scare off potential suitors.
23.11 GMT: That'll do it for Monday's edition of Transfer Talk! Tune in tomorrow for more transfer-related gossip!
22.27 GMT: This isn't really a transfer-related issue, but The Telegraph has reported about an issue brought up at a Government anti-discrimination summit regarding the English FA hiring more managers of color.
21.24 GMT: MLS.com has reported that LAFC have signed Finnish defender Niko Hamalainen from Queens Park Rangers. The 21-year-old has spent 4 years with the London-based club.
20.36 GMT: FourFourTwo has reported something from former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon where he alleges that the Galacticos let Cristiano Ronaldo go to Juventus in order to pursue PSG's Neymar.
19.14 GMT: Aston Villa have been linked with Barnsley defender Liam Lindsay as the first summer target of theirs, according to the Birmingham Mail. The 23-year-old defender has been profiled as "formidable," which is quite a complement.
18.09 GMT: It seems that not everything in going well in Lyon if The Mirror is to be believed. According to their article, Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas slammed striker Memphis Depay for his poor performance following the team's 2-0 loss to Monaco.
Depay may have already stoked these flames by issuing a "come and get me" plea to big clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester City, and PSG.
17.00 GMT: Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo has said a decision will soon be made on the future of 10-goal striker Raul Jimenez, on loan from Benfica, indicating that the move could be made permanent. "He has to carry on what he's doing," he told reporters after the Mexico international Jimenez scored in the weekend draw at Bournemouth.
16.30 GMT: AC Milan defender Alessio Romagnoli is being monitored by Manchester United, according to reports in Italy, which suggest the captain could be on the move despite only signing a new contract in the summer.
15.50 GMT: Arsenal are used to shopping around for bargains, but their best signing might cost just £2m if they activate the buyout clause in Monchi's Roma contract to appoint him as their new sporting director.
According to Il Messaggero, Arsenal have agreed terms with Monchi, who is set to join at the end of the season. The 50-year-old previously worked with Gunners manager Unai Emery at Sevilla.
15.22 GMT: Nicolas Pepe could be sold this summer, according to Lille sporting director Luis Campos. The forward has attracted the attention of Arsenal, Tottenham, Wolves but would reportedly only be allowed to leave for around £50m.
"We are not a rich club," Campos told French outlet Telefoot. "It means that if a really good proposal comes in for Pepe, we have to sell him."
14.29 GMT: Goalkeeper Quentin Westberg has signed for Toronto FC.
According to the club's website: "Westberg, 32, most recently played for AJ Auxerre in Ligue 2, the second division of French football, where he appeared in 20 matches, recording seven clean sheets in all competitions with the club. Born in France to an American father and French mother, Westberg chose to represent the United States National team (USMNT) internationally and has played at the U-17, U-20 and U-23 levels."
13.44 GMT: Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi is digging his heels in over Neymar.
"Neither Real Madrid, nor any other club in the world, needs to call us about Neymar or any other player," he told Marca. "Real Madrid know perfectly well that Neymar is not for sale and that the player won't leave PSG this summer.
"We have a fantastic relationship with Neymar and his father, and it is built to last a long time."
12.31 GMT: Leicester City are looking for a new boss and one of their former players is interested, according to Sky Sports.
No, not Robbie Savage -- it's former Hibs manager Neil Lennon. The 47-year-old had a four-year spell in the East Midlands between 1996 and 2000 and could be keen on taking over in an interim capacity. Well, it's worked for Man United...
11.58 GMT: Marca reports that negotiations between Barcelona and left-back Jordi Alba over a new deal are on track but not finalised. But Sport says it is a matter of hours before a new deal is announced ... Guess we'll find out who is right soon.
11.28 GMT: According to Rai Sport, PSG are rivals for Juventus and Inter Milan in the chase to land Fiorentina's Federico Chiesa.
The 21-year-old Italy winger has scored 10 goals in 27 domestic appearances this campaign and sources confirmed to ESPN FC last week that a new AccorHotels sponsorship deal will aid the French club on the transfer front.
11.06 GMT: Former Chelsea midfielder Oscar, who won the Chinese Super League with Shanghai SIPG, has not given up hope of playing for Brazil again.
The 27-year-old was a regular in the Brazil squad during his five seasons at Chelsea but has not been called up since joining Shanghai in 2017. Speaking to Brazilian sports daily Lance, he said: "I would like to have more opportunities to return to the national team. Things will happen naturally. Everyone dreams of the national team and I love to play for the national team. Of course when you move to China it's more difficult, because people watch more games in Europe."
10.29 GMT: Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Adrien Rabiot has not replaced his mother Veronique as his agent as he attempts to secure a free transfer, sources have told ESPN FC.
Last week, reports in Spain said France international Rabiot, 23, had taken the step in an attempt to ensure that Barcelona signed him.
10.04 GMT: Former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon has told Radio Villa Trinidad that Cristiano Ronaldo was allowed to leave for Juventus because Florentino Perez was planning a big money move for PSG's Neymar.
Calderon, whose three-year Real presidency was sandwiched between two Perez spells, said of Ronaldo's switch to Turin last summer: "Cristiano wanted a wage rise after winning the Champions League. However, Florentino refused. Ronaldo was also angry as Real were willing to spend big to land Neymar. Florentino told him that if somebody offered €100 million, that he could go. That is what happened."
09.38 GMT: PSG left-back Juan Bernat has revealed his desire to return to formative club Valencia before the end of his career.
The Spain international has been a low-key success since joining from Bayern Munich last summer, and has chipped in with important Champions League goals against Napoli and Liverpool this season. But, speaking with Movistar, the 25-year-old did not hide his feelings for Valencia.
"They are the club of my heart -- I grew up there," he said. "That said, I had the chance to leave and to develop, because I am a professional with ambitions and a desire to progress. I do not know when, but I would like to return to Valencia one day -- it would be a dream to win a title with this club."
09.08 GMT: Girona forward Cristhian Stuani has confirmed that Barcelona were interested in him before they signed Kevin-Prince Boateng. He told SPORT there was interest, but said he's happy to sign a renewal with Girona too. Bless.
08.20 GMT: The future of Inter Milan star Mauro Icardi has been in thrown into doubt recently due to a rift between the Argentine forward and the club's management that has seen him stripped of the captaincy.
However, Inter's general manager Beppe Marotta says that they are to present Icardi with a new contract offer this week. "I don't want to go into it because too much has already been said," Marotta told Sky Italia. "We know what has to be done and we have very clear ideas, and we will act as a consequence in the coming days."
PAPER TALK (by Nick Judd)
Foxes target Celtics boss Rodgers
While tonight's main manager gossip revolves around the future of Chelsea's Maurizio Sarri following Kepa Arrizabalaga's substitution fiasco at Wembley, Leicester are quietly trying to tempt Brendan Rodgers away from Celtic to replace the sacked Claude Puel.
The 2016 Premier League champions are keen to persuade Rodgers to leave Celtic before the end of the season and aren't fazed by the possibility of paying £5 million in compensation.
"I've been asked similar questions before," Rodgers said. "My message is always very, very clear -- I'm very concentrated on the game."
The Mail reports that Leicester asked about Rodgers' availability in January, but Puel survived thanks to wins over Chelsea and Manchester City.
However, Leicester's poor form since then, culminating in the 4-1 home defeat by Crystal Palace at the weekend, prompted the change.
Bayern to go again for Hernandez
Bayern made contact with Atletico in January and looked set to meet his €80 million release clause, but are now looking to renew their interest in the summer.
President Uli Hoeness said: "We'd pay the release clause. We've saved up; we're well prepared for the summer. Our sporting director has everything under control."
Newcastle to splash more cash?
Record signings could be like buses for Newcastle fans, who may be treated to another splurge in the summer.
The Magpies are eyeing a move for Hoffenheim striker Joelinton, according to Sport1
They could be the first club to act should Fulham be relegated, and are said to be interested in signing Sessegnon's twin brother Steven in a double deal worth around £20m.
It reports that PSG and Bayern Munich are also interested in the Ivory Coast forward.