Transfer Talk: Manchester United's Jose Mourinho, Ed Woodward clash over sale of Anthony Martial
The English transfer window is closed, but the rest of Europe is still open for business, and Transfer Talk has the latest rumours making the rounds. Follow along with our daily blog throughout the summer.
Mourinho wants Martial out
Jose Mourinho has asked executive vice chairman Ed Woodward to sell forward Anthony Martial before the European transfer window closes next week, says the Star. The Manchester United manager is adamant Martial is not good enough and wants his sale to raise funds to spend on new signings in January.
But Woodward is refusing to sell Martial for less than top dollar, the paper adds.
For his part, Martial has done something of a U-turn and, after his agent insisted over the summer that the player wanted to leave Old Trafford, now wants to stay put and prove himself to Mourinho and his United doubters, reports the Sun.
Chelsea brace for late moves for Hazard, Alonso
Real Madrid are ready to make one final move to sign Chelsea's Eden Hazard before the end of the Spanish transfer window, according to the Mirror.
Realistically, Los Blancos' interest in the midfielder this late in the window, likely without much hope of clinching a move due to Chelsea's inability to find a replacement, is said to be part of a grander plan to convince the Belgian to sign next summer, when he will have just a year left on his deal.
Perhaps a more acute worry for Chelsea is a potential bid from Atletico Madrid for defender Marcos Alonso. The Spaniard has had a fine start to the season, including the match-winner against Arsenal, and Atletico manager Diego Simeone is said to be planning for the possibility that his own left-back Filipe Luis could be sold to Paris Saint-Germain.
Real Madrid offered Willian
That's not all with Chelsea, as reports in Spain claim that the Blues' Brazilian international Willian has been offered to Real Madrid.
Mundo Deportivo claim that Chelsea will ask for €80 million to sell the player, whilst another €10m must be handed to the player's agent to push through the deal, which could be prohibitive. Indeed, it was figures like those that shifted Barcelona's interest away from Willian and onto Malcom earlier this summer.
- Barcelona can buy back Yerry Mina from Everton for €60m after selling the Colombian to the Toffees for €30.25m on Deadline Day, reports Marca. But they cannot activate the clause in the deal until 2020.
- Manchester City are awaiting the results of Claudio Bravo's scans before making a decision on how best to support Ederson in Pep Guardiola's squad. But the Telegraph reports that City may recall goalkeeper Aro Muric from his loan spell at NAC Breda.
- West Ham are ready to farm out Reece Oxford in order to get him some first-team football. After a promising loan spell with Borussia Monchengladbach, the Hammers are keen to send Oxford to Germany, Spain or France, claims the Mail.
- Yannick Bolasie is giving the edge to Aston Villa over Middlesbrough for a possible loan move, reports the Birmingham Mail. The winger is currently out of favour under Marco Silva after an injury layoff.
- Everton have set a £28m tag on Ademola Lookman, following interest from RB Leipzig to make the youngster's loan move permanent, says Sky Sports. The English winger impressed on loan in the Bundesliga after being turfed out by Sam Allardyce.