Transfer Talk: Barcelona planning Philippe Coutinho-like pursuit of Paul Pogba
The English transfer window is closed, but the rest of Europe is still open for business, and Transfer Talk has the latest rumours making the rounds. Follow along with our daily blog throughout the summer.
Barcelona to continue Pogba pursuit
Barcelona's interest in Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba is far from over, according to the Telegraph.
It reports that Barca "will continue to pursue Pogba after Spain's summer transfer window closes on Aug. 31" and are "well aware of his issues at United."
The La Liga champions have been strongly linked with the France World Cup-winner in recent weeks, but the Telegraph says they "privately accept that United will not sell this month."
However, it suggests there is a model they will follow, remaining keen "in the way they eventually signed Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho" last winter after being rebuffed the summer before.
United fans hopeful that France international Pogba will see out this season at Old Trafford could be disappointed -- the Telegraph says Barca "are likely to return in January or even next summer with a vastly improved offer, and will closely monitor his mood and his relationship with manager Jose Mourinho."
Over the weekend, Pogba eschewed the opportunity to end persistent speculation that he is unsettled at United, saying: "There are things that I cannot say, otherwise I will get fined."
Bakayoko Milan move back on
After reports that Tiemoue Bakayoko's move from Chelsea to AC Milan may have been off due to financial wrangles, Sky Sports reports that the deal is very much on again.
It says a season-long switch with an option for a permanent move worth around £35 million next summer has been agreed subject to the completion of the necessary formalities.
France international Bakayoko, who joined Chelsea from Monaco in a £40 million deal last year, was not in Maurizio Sarri's squad for the opening-day win at Huddersfield.
Karius to Besiktas, Napoli keen on Mignolet
Liverpool began the season with a flurry of goals against West Ham, but manager Jurgen Klopp could soon face a goalkeeper-related headache, according to the Sun.
It says Klopp has received bids for both Loris Karius and Simon Mignolet, who have dropped down the pecking order following the arrival of Alisson.
Turkish club Besiktas want Karius on loan for the season, having initially been interested in Mignolet only to find that they "could not afford the fee and wages," but now Napoli have entered the fray for the Belgium international -- and that "appeals to him after being overlooked for months."
- Napoli are ready to bid €30m plus Roberto Inglese for former Chelsea target Andrea Belotti, according to SportMediaset. It is whether Torino would accept the offer.
- Scottish club Aberdeen are set to make a loan move for Manchester United striker James Wilson in what the Mail calls "a transfer coup."
It reports that Wilson underwent a medical in Aberdeen on Sunday with the club's manager, Derek McInnes, optimistic that he can bring him in for the season.
- Brighton midfielder Oliver Norwood could be heading for Championship side Sheffield United in a loan deal that would become permanent in January, Sky Sports reports.
It says Norwood, who spent last season on loan at Fulham and helped them to promotion to the Premier League, "will undergo a medical on Monday, with personal terms not expected to be an issue."