Man United plot shock move for Borussia Dortmund's Christian Pulisic
With the calendar soon turning over to the new year, the gossip ahead of the January transfer window is heating up. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest rumours.
Manchester United target Pulisic
Borussia Dortmund forward Christian Pulisic has emerged as a leading target for Manchester United, according to the Daily Mail.
The 19-year-old has starred in Germany since making his debut at the start of 2016, and has also claimed nine goals in 20 caps for the USA.
With Dortmund again trailing leaders Bayern Munich by some distance in the Bundesliga, now could be the perfect time for United to make their move.
Jose Mourinho is keen to add another winger to his squad, and along with Pulisic he has instructed scouts to monitor Chelsea's Willian, Bordeaux's Brazilian sensation Malcom, and Gareth Bale.
If United do make a move for Pulisic, they could face stiff competition from Bayern and Liverpool, who tried to bring the teenager to Anfield last year.
Liverpool tracking Akanji
It seems Liverpool are finally planning to address their defensive deficiencies with a move for Manuel Akanji, reports the Independent.
The Basel centre-back has impressed in the Champions League this season, helping the Swiss side beat Manchester United in the group stage to qualify for a knockout-round tie against Manchester City.
Borussia Dortmund are also chasing Akanji, and hope to seal a transfer in the January window. But Basel are eager to keep hold of the 22-year-old until the end of the campaign, and Liverpool's cooperation on that front could see them lead the way in negotiations.
Bonucci on Premier League radar
Leonardo Bonucci could be set for a short stay at AC Milan as a number of Premier League clubs step up their interest in the defender, claims La Gazzetta dello Sport.
The 30-year-old only moved to the San Siro from Juventus in the summer, but with Milan down in eighth place in Serie A, another move could now be on the cards.
Pep Guardiola is a known long-term admirer of the centre-back, while Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is pressing the Blues hierarchy for a reunion with his former charge.
Paris Saint-Germain have also been credited with an interest, however, as they monitor Bonucci's situation ahead of the January transfer window.
- Liverpool will return for Thomas Lemar in January as they look to beat Arsenal to the Monaco midfielder's signature, according to the Independent. The Reds could have to pay as much as €90 million to get their man, with Lemar apparently favouring a move to Anfield over the Gunners.
- Arsenal and Manchester United are set to duke it out for Juventus defender Daniele Rugani, reports The Sun. The 23-year-old is desperate for regular first-team football and could cost as much as £35m.
- Newcastle will try to solve their lack of goals with a move for Leicester striker Islam Slimani, claims the Leicester Mercury. Slimani has also been linked with a return to Sporting Lisbon after finding himself on the sidelines at the King Power Stadium.
- Mario Balotelli has told his agent Mino Raiola to find him a "big club" in January. The Nice striker says he "loves" Manchester City and would "happily go back there for free." Pep Guardiola may have other ideas.
- Arsenal are chasing young Barcelona forward Jose Arnaiz, according to Marca. The 22-year-old has impressed in the Copa del Rey this season and would cost around €20m despite moving to the Nou Camp for a fraction of that fee from Valladolid in the summer.
Matthew Stanger covers European football for ESPN and is the editor of The Set Pieces. Twitter: @MatthewStanger